cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Darren Shepherd <darren.s.sheph...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CloudStack Server Memory Requirements
Date Tue, 01 Oct 2013 17:29:54 GMT
CloudStack should start and run for a small setup fine with a 256m
heap.  Obviously you should probably run with more in a production
setup.  I'm running the following opts on centos6.4

JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.awt.headless=true
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=45219
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false -Xmx256m
-XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError
-XX:HeapDumpPath=/var/log/cloudstack/management/ -XX:PermSize=128m
-XX:MaxPermSize=256m"

That puts the resident memory around 600mb.  This is obviously a very
minimal setup, if I was to put much load on it the GC would probably
thrash the CPU.

Darren

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 2:48 AM, Geoff Higginbottom
<geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com> wrote:
> Marcus,
>
> Thanks for the pointer.
>
> After some experimentation, I was able to get the system to function with 1GB or RAM,
but no less.

> I changed the -XX:PermSize / -XX:MaxPermSize settings from 512 / 800 to 256 / 512.
>
> ORIGINAL
> JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.awt.headless=true -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=45219 -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false -Xmx2g -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError -XX:HeapDumpPath=/var/log/cloudstack/management/
-XX:PermSize=512M -XX:MaxPermSize=800m"

> NEW
> JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.awt.headless=true -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=45219 -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false -Xmx2g -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError -XX:HeapDumpPath=/var/log/cloudstack/management/
-XX:PermSize=256M -XX:MaxPermSize=512m"

> I was actually able to drop these values lower, but the CSMAN VM still needs 1GB of RAM
regardless so something else must be hogging the RAM.

> Whilst this now works with a 1GB Memory Allowance for the CloudStack Management Server,
it is still x2 what CloudStack 4.1 needed.

> For building test environments on a Laptop in Virtual Box with a separate Host VM such
as XenServer 6.2, every MB of RAM is critical.  Fortunately I have lots of real hardware at
my disposal but not everyone does hence my quest to be able to build a test environment on
a Latptop with only 4GB of RAM.

> If anyone on the DEV List has any ideas how we can get CloudStack 4.2 to run on 512 MB
of RAM like 4.1 did I would be happy to test their theories.

> Regards
>
> Geoff Higginbottom

> geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com

uses) and adjust the memory settings as desired.

> On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 4:43 AM, Geoff Higginbottom <geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com>
wrote:
>> Marcus, Chiradeep,
>>
>> You've both made reference to the 'Spring Refactor', any chance you can let me know
how I go about changing this so I can run CloudStack on a 1GB (or less) foot print, rather
than the current 2GB.

>> Regards
>>
>> Geoff Higginbottom
>>
>> D: +44 20 3603 0542 | S: +44 20 3603 0540 | M: +447968161581
>>
>> geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com

allocated to dom0 just a few weeks after the initial spring merge. I just think the default
was never set back.

>> On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 11:29 AM, Chiradeep Vittal <Chiradeep.Vittal@citrix.com>
wrote:
>>> I believe Darren's proposed Spring refactor will help greatly.

VM.

incorporated in Brasil and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered
trademark.