cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Marcus Sorensen <shadow...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cloudstack collab Hackathons
Date Mon, 14 Oct 2013 16:29:26 GMT
On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 8:22 AM, Sebastien Goasguen <runseb@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Oct 11, 2013, at 4:43 AM, Hugo Trippaers <trippie@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hey Guys,
>>
>> The CloudStack collaboration conference is right around the corner. The first day
of the conference will be dedicated to workshops and a hackathon.

>> I'm curious which developers are planning to attend the hackthon and what subjects
you are interested in. In Santa Clara we had a short list of some subjects to discuss and
some tables and discussions were already prepared in advance. In the upcoming conference we
can do the same, so if you have a discussion or project idea that you want to work on at the
hackthon let us know with a reply in this thread.

>> I'm also curious if there are any aspiring developers that would like to have a sort
of introduction into cloudstack development during the hackathon.

>> If you have any other ideas, just shout.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Hugo
>
> I am adding couple topics that I would like to see:
>
> -API interfaces (AWS refactor, GCE, OCCI&CIMI standard): Discuss the state of our
interfaces, plans for future, needs etc. AWS interface might need a refactor, GCE is a new
interface, OCCI is a standard and Isaac Chiang has developed an interface. We are missing
a CIMI interface.

> -DOCs: We are having lots of talks about docs, they have been split in a separate repo,
we need to discuss format, release life cycle, format etc.

> -KVM agent: There has been discussions/wishes to re-write the KVM agent in something
else than Java. Review architecture, define a plan, find developers :)

What? First I've heard of it!  I'm not sure how I feel about that. On
one side, it seems reasonable to do it in something like python and
remove the java dependency on the KVM host. On the other hand, there's
a lot of technical debt in what's been built already, while it would
probably be almost trivial to set up a basic working agent, it seems
like a significant amount of work to transfer all of the
functionality, special code that works around libvirt bugs, etc. Not
to mention agent plugins that have already had a significant amount of
effort put into them. On top of that, I'm not sure there's a whole lot
of value if the motive is to attract non-java guys or admins, when the
agent's features rely on what the mgmt server can do (new
features/capabilities would require java code anyway, or at the very
least coordinated effort between multiple devs who want the same
feature).

> -Ecosystem: The are lots of tools in the cloud ecosystem, we should talk about docker,
ansible, cloud foundry/bosh…etc.and define a plan to have great cloudstack support in all
of those.