cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Marcus Sorensen <shadow...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cloudstack collab Hackathons
Date Thu, 17 Oct 2013 15:39:20 GMT
I won't be this time.

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 9:35 AM, Darren Shepherd
<darren.s.shepherd@gmail.com> wrote:
> Marcus,
>
> Will you be at CCC?  I think it's immensely important and can give plenty of good reasons,
but too lazy to type at the moment.  And I need to do a bit more analysis on the scope.

> Darren
>
>> On Oct 17, 2013, at 8:19 AM, Marcus Sorensen <shadowsor@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm not at all against it, I just haven't heard anyone give any reason
>> as to why.  Keep in mind that we'd essentially be asking anyone who
>> has written code for the agent to re-do their work (midonet, vxlan,
>> storage plugins).  My impression is that people just like the 'feel'
>> of it being in Python, and for good reason, but that ignores the fact
>> that 1) we've already done the work, and 2) features still require
>> java knowledge since the agent doesn't do anything the mgmt server
>> doesn't ask for.  Without anyone explaining why, it just sort of feels
>> like rearranging deck chairs on a boat with serious leaks going on
>> below deck. Worse, people brought their own chairs, and we threw them
>> overboard because they're now the wrong color.
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 6:54 PM, Darren Shepherd
>> <darren.s.shepherd@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> +1 for kvm in python.  I'd like to take it a step further.  I'd like to create
a framework for adding compute and storage with python drivers. The first implementation should
just happen to be libvirt/kvm.  So yeah, I'll be interested in this.  I'll be landing around
10am so don't know what time I'll get to the hackathon.

>>> Darren

The first day of the conference will be dedicated to workshops and a hackathon.

and what subjects you are interested in. In Santa Clara we had a short list of some subjects
to discuss and some tables and discussions were already prepared in advance. In the upcoming
conference we can do the same, so if you have a discussion or project idea that you want to
work on at the hackthon let us know with a reply in this thread.

like to have a sort of introduction into cloudstack development during the hackathon.

the state of our interfaces, plans for future, needs etc. AWS interface might need a refactor,
GCE is a new interface, OCCI is a standard and Isaac Chiang has developed an interface. We
are missing a CIMI interface.

a separate repo, we need to discuss format, release life cycle, format etc.

in something else than Java. Review architecture, define a plan, find developers :)

about docker, ansible, cloud foundry/bosh…etc.and define a plan to have great cloudstack
support in all of those.