cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Hugo Trippaers <h...@trippaers.nl>
Subject Re: note to devcloud users on db.properties.override
Date Thu, 31 Oct 2013 16:38:24 GMT

On 31 okt. 2013, at 17:27, Darren Shepherd <darren.s.shepherd@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is fixed now.  Sorry about that.  I really do go through extra
> length to test my changes.  I'm finding it difficult to ensure quality
> because there is so much variation.  You have to test everything in so
> many contexts.  It shouldn't be like that I hope to help reduced the
> amount of variation in this platform.  This was part of why I made the
> db.properties change to begin with.  I wanted to change MacAddress to
> read from db.properties, but then I found out that that properties
> file is loaded in probably 10 different places in all slightly
> different ways.  Some places would decrypt, some wouldn't, some
> ignored if the file was not found, some would just throw a NPE.  So I
> consolidated all that code.

Nice! I like the consolidation :-)

Cheers,

Hugo

> Darren
>

> On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 9:07 AM, Darren Shepherd
> <darren.s.shepherd@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Ugh, I see what I did now.  When I tested that code I changed the code
>> I didn't do a "mvn install" before running "mvn ... deploydb."  That's
>> annoying, now I want to figure out why maven doesn't pickup changes
>> unless I do an install.  So I effectively tested with the old code.
>>
>> Darren
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 8:52 AM, Darren Shepherd
>> <darren.s.shepherd@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I'll fix that.  Gimme ten mintues.  I specifically looked at that code
>>> and thought I didn't change the behavior, but I guess I screwed it up.
>>>
>>> Just a general comment.  There's too many ways to do the same thing in
>>> CloudStack.  Especially the database.  The way databases are setup for
>>> developers shouldn't be so different from production.  The way we
>>> manage the DB at the moment is so problematic in my mind.
>>>
>>> Darren

the deploydb procedure to refresh the database. Effectively the db.properies.override is ignored
at the moment and the db.proeprties file in utils/conf/ will be used instead. We need to come
up with a nice solution for this in the near future, but in the meantime make any custom setting
there. Just don’t commit them ;-)