cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From "SuichII, Christopher" <Chris.Su...@netapp.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Pluggable VM snapshot related operations?
Date Tue, 08 Oct 2013 19:38:47 GMT

--
Chris Suich
chris.suich@netapp.com
NetApp Software Engineer
Data Center Platforms – Cloud Solutions
Citrix, Cisco & Red Hat

On Oct 8, 2013, at 2:24 PM, Darren Shepherd <darren.s.shepherd@gmail.com> wrote:

> So in the implementation, when we say "quiesce" is that actually being
> implemented as a VM snapshot (memory and disk).  And then when you say
> "unquiesce" you are talking about deleting the VM snapshot?

If the VM snapshot is not going to the hypervisor, then yes, it will actually be a hypervisor
snapshot. Just to be clear, the unquiesce is not quite a delete - it is a collapse of the
VM snapshot and the active VM back into one file.

> In NetApp, what are you snapshotting?  The whole netapp volume (I
> don't know the correct term), a file on NFS, an iscsi volume?  I don't
> know a whole heck of a lot about the netapp snapshot capabilities.

Essentially we are using internal APIs to create file level backups - don't worry too much
about the terminology.

> I know storage solutions can snapshot better and faster than
> hypervisors can with COW files.  I've personally just been always
> perplexed on whats the best way to implement it.  For storage
> solutions that are block based, its really easy to have the storage
> doing the snapshot.  For shared file systems, like NFS, its seems way
> more complicated as you don't want to snapshot the entire filesystem
> in order to snapshot one file.

With filesystems like NFS, things are certainly more complicated, but that is taken care of
by our controller's operating system, Data ONTAP, and we simply use APIs to communicate with
it.

> Darren
>
> On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 11:10 AM, SuichII, Christopher
> <Chris.Suich@netapp.com> wrote:
>> I can comment on the second half.
>>
>> Through storage operations, storage providers can create backups much faster than
hypervisors and over time, their snapshots are more efficient than the snapshot chains that
hypervisors create. It is true that a VM snapshot taken at the storage level is slightly different
as it would be psuedo-quiesced, not have it's memory snapshotted. This is accomplished through
hypervisor snapshots:

>> 1) VM snapshot request (lets say VM 'A'
>> 2) Create hypervisor snapshot (optional)
>>  -VM 'A' is snapshotted, creating active VM 'A*'
>>  -All disk traffic now goes to VM 'A*' and A is a snapshot of 'A*'
>> 3) Storage driver(s) take snapshots of each volume
>> 4) Undo hypervisor snapshot (optional)
>>  -VM snapshot 'A' is rolled back into VM 'A*' so the hypervisor snapshot no longer
exists

>> Now, a couple notes:
>> -The reason this is optional is that not all users necessarily care about the memory
or disk consistency of their VMs and would prefer faster snapshots to consistency.
>> -Preemptively, yes, we are actually taking hypervisor snapshots which means there
isn't actually a performance of taking storage snapshots when quiescing the VM. However, the
performance gain will come both during restoring the VM and during normal operations as described
above.

>> Although you can think of it as a poor man's VM snapshot, I would think of it more
as a consistent multi-volume snapshot. Again, the difference being that this snapshot was
not truly quiesced like a hypervisor snapshot would be.

>> --
>> Chris Suich
>> chris.suich@netapp.com
>> NetApp Software Engineer
>> Data Center Platforms – Cloud Solutions
>> Citrix, Cisco & Red Hat
>>
>> On Oct 8, 2013, at 1:47 PM, Darren Shepherd <darren.s.shepherd@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> My only comment is that having the return type as boolean and using to
>>> that indicate quiesce behaviour seems obscure and will probably lead
>>> to a problem later.  Your basically saying the result of the
>>> takeVMSnapshot will only ever need to communicate back whether
>>> unquiesce needs to happen.  Maybe some result object would be more
>>> extensible.
>>>
>>> Actually, I think I have more comments.  This seems a bit odd to me.
>>> Why would a storage driver in ACS implement a VM snapshot
>>> functionality?  VM snapshot is a really a hypervisor orchestrated
>>> operation.  So it seems like were trying to implement a poor mans VM
>>> snapshot.  Maybe if I understood what NetApp was trying to do it would
>>> make more sense, but its all odd.  To do a proper VM snapshot you need
>>> to snapshot memory and disk at the exact same time.  How are we going
>>> to do that if ACS is orchestrating the VM snapshot and delegating to
>>> storage providers.  Its not like you are going to pause the VM.... or
>>> are you?
>>>
>>> Darren

The
VM