cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Darren Shepherd <darren.s.sheph...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cloudstack collab Hackathons
Date Thu, 17 Oct 2013 15:46:25 GMT
Marcus,

Okay, well I'll give a fully articulated argument for this eventually.  Regardless, no reason
to discourage a hackathon on the topic.  Might as well talk and hack on it a bit and then
we will know if it's a terrible idea.

Darren

> On Oct 17, 2013, at 8:39 AM, Marcus Sorensen <shadowsor@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I won't be this time.
>
> On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 9:35 AM, Darren Shepherd
> <darren.s.shepherd@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Marcus,
>>
>> Will you be at CCC?  I think it's immensely important and can give plenty of good
reasons, but too lazy to type at the moment.  And I need to do a bit more analysis on the
scope.

>> Darren
>>
>>> On Oct 17, 2013, at 8:19 AM, Marcus Sorensen <shadowsor@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm not at all against it, I just haven't heard anyone give any reason
>>> as to why.  Keep in mind that we'd essentially be asking anyone who
>>> has written code for the agent to re-do their work (midonet, vxlan,
>>> storage plugins).  My impression is that people just like the 'feel'
>>> of it being in Python, and for good reason, but that ignores the fact
>>> that 1) we've already done the work, and 2) features still require
>>> java knowledge since the agent doesn't do anything the mgmt server
>>> doesn't ask for.  Without anyone explaining why, it just sort of feels
>>> like rearranging deck chairs on a boat with serious leaks going on
>>> below deck. Worse, people brought their own chairs, and we threw them
>>> overboard because they're now the wrong color.

a framework for adding compute and storage with python drivers. The first implementation should
just happen to be libvirt/kvm.  So yeah, I'll be interested in this.  I'll be landing around
10am so don't know what time I'll get to the hackathon.

The first day of the conference will be dedicated to workshops and a hackathon.

and what subjects you are interested in. In Santa Clara we had a short list of some subjects
to discuss and some tables and discussions were already prepared in advance. In the upcoming
conference we can do the same, so if you have a discussion or project idea that you want to
work on at the hackthon let us know with a reply in this thread.

like to have a sort of introduction into cloudstack development during the hackathon.

the state of our interfaces, plans for future, needs etc. AWS interface might need a refactor,
GCE is a new interface, OCCI is a standard and Isaac Chiang has developed an interface. We
are missing a CIMI interface.

in a separate repo, we need to discuss format, release life cycle, format etc.

agent in something else than Java. Review architecture, define a plan, find developers :)

talk about docker, ansible, cloud foundry/bosh…etc.and define a plan to have great cloudstack
support in all of those.