cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From "SuichII, Christopher" <Chris.Su...@netapp.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] make commands.properties the exception, not the rule
Date Wed, 09 Oct 2013 19:49:53 GMT
I just wanted to add a little clarification from a plugin perspective.

Having commands.properties as a whitelist just adds another place that plugins have to register
with CloudStack. For plugins that do not intend on being a part of the CloudStack source,
this is actually quite tricky. Currently, to add entries to commands.properties, any plugin
like this would either need to tell the CS administrator to manually modify this file (error
prone, laborious and an uncommon installation practice) or develop an installation script
to modify commands.properties when installing, updating or uninstalling the plugin (also error
prone and scary).

--
Chris Suich
chris.suich@netapp.com

On Oct 9, 2013, at 1:08 AM, Darren Shepherd <darren.s.shepherd@gmail.com> wrote:

> So I'm saying if you want to disable a command you put myBadCmd=0 in
> the commands.properties.  So yes, a blacklist over a whitelist.  For
> people paranoid about maybe some command exists that they don't know
> about, we can even add a "blacklist=false to the command properties.
> Then the commands.properites becomes the all mighty master of what is
> allowed (a whitelist).  But by default, I think the file should be
> empty and default to what is defined by the API annotation.
>
> Darren
>
> On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 5:45 PM, SuichII, Christopher
> <Chris.Suich@netapp.com> wrote:
>> Maybe we could consider switching from a whitelist to a blacklist, then. A whitelist
is certainly easier in terms of a one-step configuration, but a blacklist would allow for
much easier plugin development, installation and removal. Perhaps we could find write a script
that generates the complete list of APIs to create the blacklist from (I know this API exists
currently, but not in the format of commands.properties).

>> --
>> Chris Suich
>> chris.suich@netapp.com
>> NetApp Software Engineer
>> Data Center Platforms – Cloud Solutions
>> Citrix, Cisco & Red Hat
>>
>> On Oct 8, 2013, at 7:11 PM, Prachi Damle <prachi.damle@citrix.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I think commands.properties is not just providing ACL on the API - but it also
serves as a whitelist of APIs available on the deployment.
>>> It can be a one-step configuration option to disable certain functionality.
>>>
>>> Prachi

naturally have a default ACL that should be applied.  I think it makes sense to add to the
@APICommand flags for user, domain, admin.  Then, as an override mechanism, people can edit
commands.properties to change the default ACL.  This would make it such that people could
add new commands without the need to edit commands.properties.