cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Kelcey Jamison Damage <kel...@backbonetechnology.com>
Subject Re: Cloudstack collab Hackathons
Date Thu, 17 Oct 2013 01:02:56 GMT
+1 again for KVM in Python!

----- Original Message -----

From: "Darren Shepherd" <darren.s.shepherd@gmail.com>
To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 5:54:26 PM
Subject: Re: Cloudstack collab Hackathons

+1 for kvm in python. I'd like to take it a step further. I'd like to create a framework for
adding compute and storage with python drivers. The first implementation should just happen
to be libvirt/kvm. So yeah, I'll be interested in this. I'll be landing around 10am so don't
know what time I'll get to the hackathon.

Darren

> On Oct 14, 2013, at 9:29 AM, Marcus Sorensen <shadowsor@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 8:22 AM, Sebastien Goasguen <runseb@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> On Oct 11, 2013, at 4:43 AM, Hugo Trippaers <trippie@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Hey Guys,
>>>
>>> The CloudStack collaboration conference is right around the corner. The first
day of the conference will be dedicated to workshops and a hackathon.

>>> I'm curious which developers are planning to attend the hackthon and what subjects
you are interested in. In Santa Clara we had a short list of some subjects to discuss and
some tables and discussions were already prepared in advance. In the upcoming conference we
can do the same, so if you have a discussion or project idea that you want to work on at the
hackthon let us know with a reply in this thread.

>>> I'm also curious if there are any aspiring developers that would like to have
a sort of introduction into cloudstack development during the hackathon.

>>> If you have any other ideas, just shout.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Hugo
>>
>> I am adding couple topics that I would like to see:
>>
>> -API interfaces (AWS refactor, GCE, OCCI&CIMI standard): Discuss the state of
our interfaces, plans for future, needs etc. AWS interface might need a refactor, GCE is a
new interface, OCCI is a standard and Isaac Chiang has developed an interface. We are missing
a CIMI interface.

>> -DOCs: We are having lots of talks about docs, they have been split in a separate
repo, we need to discuss format, release life cycle, format etc.

>> -KVM agent: There has been discussions/wishes to re-write the KVM agent in something
else than Java. Review architecture, define a plan, find developers :)

> What? First I've heard of it! I'm not sure how I feel about that. On
> one side, it seems reasonable to do it in something like python and
> remove the java dependency on the KVM host. On the other hand, there's
> a lot of technical debt in what's been built already, while it would
> probably be almost trivial to set up a basic working agent, it seems
> like a significant amount of work to transfer all of the
> functionality, special code that works around libvirt bugs, etc. Not
> to mention agent plugins that have already had a significant amount of
> effort put into them. On top of that, I'm not sure there's a whole lot
> of value if the motive is to attract non-java guys or admins, when the
> agent's features rely on what the mgmt server can do (new
> features/capabilities would require java code anyway, or at the very
> least coordinated effort between multiple devs who want the same
> feature).
>

>> -Ecosystem: The are lots of tools in the cloud ecosystem, we should talk about docker,
ansible, cloud foundry/bosh…etc.and define a plan to have great cloudstack support in all
of those.