cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From "SuichII, Christopher" <Chris.Su...@netapp.com>
Subject [PROPOSAL] Provide Option to Quiesce VMs While Taking Snapshots
Date Mon, 30 Sep 2013 21:43:23 GMT
CloudStack currently snapshots vm disks by taking hypervisor snapshots. However, when implementing
the storage subsystem API interface takeSnapshot(), the VM associated with the requested volume
is not quiesced since a hypervisor snapshot is not necessarily taken. When creating a storage
level snapshot, there are ways around this and 'quiescing' the vm without actually quiescing
it (through hypervisor APIs). I would like to propose that there be an option to quiesce VMs
when taking snapshots both manually and through recurring snapshot policies. One issue I see
with this is that this option is not always applicable. If the default storage provider is
used, a hypervisor snapshot will be taken and therefore the VM will always be quiesced. Some
storage providers may not respect the user's request to quiesce. Because of this, I suggest
that the option be shown to the user as 'Quiesce VM (if applicable)'. This indicates to the
user that the option will be passed to the management server and respected if possible.

I will work on formalizing a full functional spec if needed but wanted to get this up for
discussion ASAP.

I have created a JIRA ticket: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-4774

Thanks,
Chris