cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Jayapal Reddy Uradi <jayapalreddy.ur...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: Virtual Router reachability
Date Mon, 30 Sep 2013 06:25:20 GMT
Girish,

cloudstack shows router status as 'running' before the router booting completed. The router
is accessible when the cloud-early-config starts the sshd in booting.

+1 on santosh suggestion.

Thanks,
Jayapal

On 30-Sep-2013, at 11:25 AM, Santhosh Edukulla <santhosh.edukulla@citrix.com>
 wrote:

> Girish,
>
> 1. Using timeout will make it to wait for that many units always and again it may not
be fool proof, we may succeed to find ssh daemon on remote machine is up and running  and
with this, we again run it few more times to check again if it is not running, so its not
much predictable.

> Instead of  waiting for specified time always.
>
> a) poll check  to see if ping to ip is working and then verify ssh port is open for connections
on the target, if yes, we are good to go.  This way, we are not waiting for specific time
always.
> b)  There is a telnet lib of which you can use either read_until or expect calls with
specific max timeout ( worst ) with strings like "connected" etc to check ssh port is available
for connections, If we are getting the desired string in the output, then we are ok, or otherwise
you may take a call. This way, we wait for max time only during worst cases.  Check the link
below link for specific examples:

> http://docs.python.org/2/library/telnetlib.html
>
> Regards,
> Santhosh

often seen that VR is not immediately accessible.
> A ssh to VR fails, I think it takes a while for the network to come up and VR can be
ssh'd. This happens even though the VR is in "Running"
> state.
> So I added a delay before trying to ssh VR. I was wondering what is the right amount
of delay here. I did not find a param in global settings