cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Marcus Sorensen <shadow...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Managed storage with KVM
Date Sat, 14 Sep 2013 02:07:25 GMT
Look in LibvirtVMDef.java (I think) for the disk definitions. There are
ones that work for block devices rather than files. You can piggy back off
of the existing disk definitions and attach it to the vm as a block device.
The definition is an XML string per libvirt XML format. You may want to use
an alternate path to the disk rather than just /dev/sdx like I mentioned,
there are by-id paths to the block devices, as well as other ones that will
be consistent and easier for management, not sure how familiar you are with
device naming on Linux.
On Sep 13, 2013 8:00 PM, "Marcus Sorensen" <shadowsor@gmail.com> wrote:

> No, as that would rely on virtualized network/iscsi initiator inside the
> vm, which also sucks. I mean attach /dev/sdx (your lun on hypervisor) as a
> disk to the VM, rather than attaching some image file that resides on a
> filesystem, mounted on the host, living on a target.
>
> Actually, if you plan on the storage supporting live migration I think
> this is the only way. You can't put a filesystem on it and mount it in two
> places to facilitate migration unless its a clustered filesystem, in which
> case you're back to shared mount point.
>
> As far as I'm aware, the xenserver SR style is basically LVM with a xen
> specific cluster management, a custom CLVM. They don't use a filesystem
> either.
> On Sep 13, 2013 7:44 PM, "Mike Tutkowski" <mike.tutkowski@solidfire.com>
> wrote:
>
>> When you say, "wire up the lun directly to the vm," do you mean
>> circumventing the hypervisor? I didn't think we could do that in CS.
>> OpenStack, on the other hand, always circumvents the hypervisor, as far as
>> I know.
>>

>> On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 7:40 PM, Marcus Sorensen <shadowsor@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Better to wire up the lun directly to the vm unless there is a good
>>> reason not to.

This

VDI for the

<

The end-user is
KVM hosts can
images.

all at the same time.

pools:

wrote:

> [...]
out.

storage pool based on an

only have one LUN, so
in the (libvirt)

destroys iSCSI
that libvirt does not

a bit to see if libvirt
you mentioned, since each
my iSCSI targets/LUNs).

wrote:

> [...]
type:

LOGICAL("logical"),

{

{

type is currently being
were getting at.

4.2), when someone selects
uses it with iSCSI, is that the

PM, Marcus Sorensen <

on the iSCSI server, and
APIs.", which I believe your
the work of logging in and
api does that work in the Xen

is whether this provides a 1:1
1 iscsi device as a pool.
or read up a bit more about this.
have to write your own storage
 We can

libvirt, see the java bindings
 Normally,
then calls made to that 'conn'
to see how that is
write some test java code to
and register iscsi storage

5:31 PM, Mike Tutkowski
wrote:
> [...]
to investigate libvirt more, but you
from iSCSI targets, right?

at 5:29 PM, Mike Tutkowski
wrote:

> [...]
looking through some of the classes you

2013 at 5:26 PM, Marcus Sorensen

is that you will need the iscsi
There should be standard packages for any
adaptor to do the initiator login.
about LibvirtStorageAdaptor.java and
fits your need.

2013 4:55 PM, "Mike Tutkowski"

may remember, during the 4.2 release I
plug-in for CloudStack.

was invoked by the storage framework at
I could dynamically create and delete volumes
SAN
other activities).

necessary so I can establish a 1:1 mapping
and a SolidFire volume for QoS.

past, CloudStack always expected the admin to
ahead of time and those volumes would likely
(which is not QoS friendly).

this 1:1 mapping scheme work, I needed to
and VMware plug-ins so they could
as needed.

I want to make this happen with KVM.

up to speed with how this might work on
new to KVM.

familiar with KVM know how I will need to
For example, will I have to expect Open
on the KVM host and use it for this to work?

for any suggestions,

CloudStack Developer, SolidFire Inc.
the way the world uses the cloud™

Developer, SolidFire Inc.