cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] move away from time-based releases and/or revamp release process
Date Thu, 26 Sep 2013 04:21:58 GMT
On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 11:26 AM, Musayev, Ilya <imusayev@webmd.net> wrote:
> We can still use scheduled release as we do now and yet have some agility.
>
> An idea was passed around before if we can modularize ACS in future releases VS being
it monolithic.

> We can still have a core as is, but additional components/plugins can be loaded adhoc
pm the need base. As an example, there is no need to bake in vmware support into release if
a customer has not need for it. You cant just upgrade vmware code unless you upgrade from
version X.y.1 to X.y.2.

> Same applies to all other "plugins", that are not truly pluggable.
>
> Splitting components as separate "plugins" (or whatever the proper term is) would ease
the release cycle and give us flexibility in my opinion.

Can you imagine the complexity of that model? Core version 4.3.x has
to work with VMware plugin 7.2.3, 7.1.5, and 7.0.2 and also has to
work with Nicira plugin version 3.4.1, 3.5.2, and 3.6.0 - except that
both of those plugins interact with each other as well as the core
orchestration platform. We struggle to test well now, the additional
combinations there boggle the mind.

--David