cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Daan Hoogland <daan.hoogl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Configuration variable changes...
Date Mon, 09 Sep 2013 19:01:23 GMT
Alex,

I looked up the constructors and figured it out. next question is
about two of them:

    public ConfigKey(Class<T> type, String name, String category,
String defaultValue, String description, boolean isDynamic);
and
    public ConfigKey(String category, Class<T> type, String name,
String defaultValue, String description, boolean isDynamic);

should one of them be removed?

makes more sense to add a
    public ConfigKey(Class<T> type, String name, String category,
String defaultValue, String description, boolean isDynamic, T
multiplier);
that uses global scope.

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 7:48 PM, Daan Hoogland <daan.hoogland@gmail.com> wrote:
> Looks great Alex,
>
> One question; Adding a scope or a multiplier is featured on the wiki
> but not specified. Can you add a pointer to it?
>
> Very nice indeed,
> Daan
>
> On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 7:20 PM, Alex Huang <Alex.Huang@citrix.com> wrote:
>> As part of the work to pull apart orchestration from self service, I made some changes
to how configuration parameters work.  The problem with the current system are as follows:

>> - configuration variables are all stored as enums in Config.java which means plugins
have to modify a single file.  We established that to be a bad pattern in some earlier thread.
>> - No way to tell during upgrades whether a config variable has become useless or
if the defaults have changed.
>> - No way to consistently have variables be dynamically updated.
>> - No way to consistently migrate a global variable to a scoped variable.
>> - No way to use more than one type of storage (db) to store config variables.
>> - Some of the code are still using text strings to retrieve configuration.
>> - No way to consistently validate variables.  (although this is not done yet but
I described how it can be done in this new framework.)

>> The changes are detailed on wiki [1].  There's a detail list of todo items in ConfigDepotImpl.java
if you're interested in picking up any of the work.  The old way still works but I recommend
we move all new way for new config parameters.