cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Daan Hoogland <daan.hoogl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Configuration variable changes...
Date Mon, 09 Sep 2013 17:48:45 GMT
Looks great Alex,

One question; Adding a scope or a multiplier is featured on the wiki
but not specified. Can you add a pointer to it?

Very nice indeed,
Daan

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 7:20 PM, Alex Huang <Alex.Huang@citrix.com> wrote:
> As part of the work to pull apart orchestration from self service, I made some changes
to how configuration parameters work.  The problem with the current system are as follows:

> - configuration variables are all stored as enums in Config.java which means plugins
have to modify a single file.  We established that to be a bad pattern in some earlier thread.
> - No way to tell during upgrades whether a config variable has become useless or if the
defaults have changed.
> - No way to consistently have variables be dynamically updated.
> - No way to consistently migrate a global variable to a scoped variable.
> - No way to use more than one type of storage (db) to store config variables.
> - Some of the code are still using text strings to retrieve configuration.
> - No way to consistently validate variables.  (although this is not done yet but I described
how it can be done in this new framework.)

> The changes are detailed on wiki [1].  There's a detail list of todo items in ConfigDepotImpl.java
if you're interested in picking up any of the work.  The old way still works but I recommend
we move all new way for new config parameters.