cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Animesh Chaturvedi <animesh.chaturv...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] Apache CloudStack 4.2.0 (fourth round)
Date Mon, 09 Sep 2013 21:03:55 GMT


> -----Original Message-----
> From: Daan Hoogland [mailto:daan.hoogland@gmail.com]
> Sent: Monday, September 09, 2013 1:46 PM
> To: dev
> Subject: Re: [VOTE] Apache CloudStack 4.2.0 (fourth round)
> 
> I think we are hitting a well documented feature of open source here,
> Mike. If someone is reporting it, someone is testing it. if someone is
> testing it someone is using it. Meaning the reported issues are being
> used. If it is by one or by one percent is not or should not be
> important.
> The fact they are slowing the release is because the testing is slow and
> hardly automated. Those that are automated are no issue.
> 
> @Animesh: you are giving an argument for releasing release candidates.
> We have discussed the cons of that extensively. The fact that 4.2 is so
> loaded with new features is due to the slow testing. I see your point
> about new issues, but these are due to 'only having 72 hours'
[Animesh>] I did extend the fourth VOTE which was expected to close on Friday. I also deliberately
did not cancel out the third round sooner and start a new VOTE because I also wanted more
people to try out the RC even though I had to pull in few fixes. 
> per vote round for things that are not automatically tested. Maybe you
> are right and we should leave some behind to save the whole.
[Animesh>] That's my reasoning, the current issue we already have a fix so easy to spin
another RC but that may not just be the end. IMO as we put in the RC date for a release we
should also put in a GA date that we should strive to achieve as community.
> 
> 
> 
> On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 10:24 PM, Mike Tutkowski
> <mike.tutkowski@solidfire.com> wrote:
> > Do we have any statistics that say how many of our customers are using
> > feature x, feature y, etc.?
> >
> > If not, I would say if we know about a feature that has regressed to
> > the point of breakage in 4.2 that it should be fixed before releasing
> > (or at the very least well documented, so - if it is impactful to
> > someone - they do not upgrade until it has been fixed).
> >
> >
> > On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 2:12 PM, Chiradeep Vittal <
> > Chiradeep.Vittal@citrix.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I think that Animesh is trying to stress what is "key". If it hits 1%
> >> of cloud operators is it key?
> >>
> >>
> >> On 9/9/13 7:42 AM, "Simon Weller" <sweller@ena.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> >-1 from me as well.
> >> >
> >> >
> >> >I know we're trying to hit timed releases, but I think it's very
> >> >important to preserve key underlying functionality across releases.
> >> >If a supported and documented feature is known to be broken, we need
> >> >to address it...if we don't, it's going to cause lots of pain, and
> >> >reflect badly on ACS as a project.
> >> >
> >> >----- Original Message -----
> >> >
> >> >From: "Chip Childers" <chip.childers@sungard.com>
> >> >To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
> >> >Sent: Monday, September 9, 2013 9:24:23 AM
> >> >Subject: Re: [VOTE] Apache CloudStack 4.2.0 (fourth round)
> >> >
> >> >On Sun, Sep 08, 2013 at 12:40:30AM -0600, Marcus Sorensen wrote:
> >> >> -1 ... sorry guys, especially with Simon chiming in.
> >> >>
> >> >> I'd request f2c5b5fbfe45196dfad2821fca513ddd6efa25c9 be cherry-
> picked.
> >> >
> >> >Agreed.
> >> >
> >> >I'm -1, given simon's perspective as well. Since we have the fix,
> >> >let's get it into the release.
> >> >
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
> > --
> > *Mike Tutkowski*
> > *Senior CloudStack Developer, SolidFire Inc.*
> > e: mike.tutkowski@solidfire.com
> > o: 303.746.7302
> > Advancing the way the world uses the
> > cloud<http://solidfire.com/solution/overview/?video=play>
> > *(tm)*

Mime
View raw message