cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Soheil Eizadi <seiz...@infoblox.com>
Subject RE: NetworkElements: configure the provider to enable the provider?
Date Tue, 03 Sep 2013 06:18:18 GMT
Hi Prasanna,
The limitation you have highlighted "enable network service providers without actually adding
the device" is not enforced by the NetworkManager but by the design of the NetworkElement.

If you have not registered a device with the Netscaler NetworkElement it is rejecting the
Enable. The NetworkManager calls the NetworkElement isReady() and that determines if it is
ready to accept the call to Enable. I assume that NetScaler NetworkElement code can not handle
subsequent calls to Prepare() etc. unless a device is configured.

I assume those other NetworkElements you have highlighted, have chosen to return True on that
call, and handle the subsequent calls e.g. Prepare(), when there is not a device, my NetworkElement
behaves this way so that it can be enabled early when there is no device.

There is a design pattern to enable some Network Elements that offer service to the Physical
and Guest network in the call to createPhysicalNetwork() in NetworkServiceImpl:

          // add VirtualRouter as the default network service provider
            addDefaultVirtualRouterToPhysicalNetwork(pNetwork.getId());

            // add security group provider to the physical network
            addDefaultSecurityGroupProviderToPhysicalNetwork(pNetwork.getId());

            // add VPCVirtualRouter as the defualt network service provider
            addDefaultVpcVirtualRouterToPhysicalNetwork(pNetwork.getId());

            // add baremetal as the defualt network service provider
            addDefaultBaremetalProvidersToPhysicalNetwork(pNetwork.getId());

            //Add Internal Load Balancer element as a default network service provider
            addDefaultInternalLbProviderToPhysicalNetwork(pNetwork.getId());

            // add Infoblox as the default network service provider
            addDefaultInfobloxProvidersToPhysicalNetwork(pNetwork.getId());

-Soheil