cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Sebastien Goasguen <run...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ubuntu LTS for system vm? and 64bit?
Date Thu, 26 Sep 2013 07:47:20 GMT

On Sep 26, 2013, at 3:27 AM, Wido den Hollander <wido@widodh.nl> wrote:

> On 09/26/2013 01:38 AM, Darren Shepherd wrote:
>> Is there any technical reason why we couldn't use ubuntu LTS (12.04
>> and soon to be 14.04) for the system VM.  Additionally is there any
>> technical reason we couldn't switch to 64bit.  I don't necesarily want
>> to get into "fight for you favorite distro" discussion, just curious.
>>

> This still underlines the problem with the SystemVM, it isn't flexible enough.
>
> I'm not saying we should change overnight, but the SystemVM should be abstracted a lot
more so people can throw in their own SystemVM more easily.

> I created a issue about this last year: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-451
>
> I'd like to see this abstracted more so you can drop in any Linux or BSD distro you like
as long as it talks the API and does what it's asked to do.

> For Debian based we should be able to create some .deb packages which you can simple
install and for Redhat some .rpms.

> The SystemVMs aren't rocket-science, as a matter of fact, I think the are a big mess
internally when you see all the scripts.

> Wido

Didn't Chiradeep work on quick cloud to solve some of those issues:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/QuickCloud