cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Milamber <milam...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Volunteers to Complete the 4.2 Release Notes
Date Mon, 23 Sep 2013 18:37:38 GMT

Le 23/09/2013 18:47, Abhinav Roy a ecrit :
> Yes , that’s true Milamber. It's my fault, Somehow I overlooked it.
> But, the check for 8096 API port is already there for 4.1.x to 4.2 upgrades.

Sure?

I've just found this in 4.1.x to 4.2 section:
10. Once you've upgraded the packages on your management servers, you'll
need to restart the sys-
tem VMs. Make sure port 8096 is open in your local host firewall to do this.

In 3.0.2 to 4.2.0 section, I've found a good mention:
15. If you are upgrading from 3.0.2, perform the following:
a. Ensure that the admin port is set to 8096 by using the
"integration.api.port" global parameter.
This port is used by the cloud-sysvmadm script at the end of the upgrade
procedure. For infor-
mation about how to set this parameter, see "Setting Global
Configuration Parameters" in the
Installation Guide.

Milamber

> Thanks and regards,
> Abhinav

Patnala
> Subject: Re: Volunteers to Complete the 4.2 Release Notes
>

> Le 23/09/2013 10:48, Abhinav Roy a ecrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> Here are some of the steps which are missing from the release notes,
>>
>> 1. Before upgrading from any version to 4.2 we need to register the new 4.2 systemvm
templates .
>>       This step is there in section 3.3 i.e for upgrade from 2.2.14 to 4.2, but it
is missing in section 3.1 and 3.2 .
>> +                        <para>Description: systemvm-kvm-4.2.0</para>
> My upgrade test (from 4.1.1 to 4.2) have failed, because I used "systemvm-kvm-4.2.0"
for the name of new system vm... (my system vms still in debian 6.0)

> Please Note:
> The name for the new system vms (xen, kvm, vmware, etc) must be only "4.2" (not "4.2.0)
at the end.

> 1) systemvm-xenserver-4.2
> 2) systemvm-kvm-4.2
> 3) systemvm-vmware-4.2
> 4) systemvm-hyperv-4.2
> 5) systemvm-lxc-4.2
>
> Reference: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-3355
> (close this issue?)
>

>> Have you enabled the "integration.api.port" under Global Settings menu in CS management
GUI? If not, set it to 8096, restart management and see if the problem goes away.
> Add some lines to check if the key intergration.api.port is set to 8096 before the upgrade
seems important too. (for section 4.1.x to 4.2)

> Milamber
>

>> 2. Section 3.1
>>
>>       Step 3&4 : it should be cloudstack-management and cloudstack-usage as the
naming conventions have been changed from 4.1 onwards.

>>       Step 6 : The cloudstack 4.2 repo has not been published yet, currently at http://cloudstack.apt-get.eu/
the repo is available only for 4.0.x and 4.1.x
>>                        What Indira pointed to, needs to be removed, step 6.g) and
6.h) and step 8 also need to be removed
>>                       In step 6.f) It should be service cloudstack-agent  stop
>>
>>       Step 9.b) : It should be sudo yum upgrade cloudstack-client
>>
>>       Step 9.c) : it should be sudo yum upgrade cloudstack-agent   and the following
line is not required [[" During the installation of cloudstack-agent, the RPM will copy your
agent.properties,log4j-cloud.xml, and environment.properties from /etc/cloud/agent to /etc/cloudstack/agent"
]]

http://download.cloud.com/templates/4.2/systemvmtemplate-4.2-vh7.ova .
>>                              The OSType should be [[Debian GNU/Linux 7.0 (32-bit)
(or the highestDebian release number available in the dropdown)]]
>> 	Similarly, add templates for xenserver and kvm also.
>>
>>       Step 7 : Delete this step, it's not needed.
>>
>>      Step 16 : It should be cloudstack-sysvmadm
>>
>> 4. Section 3.3
>>
>>        Step 4.d) : For all the newly registered templates, make the OStype as [[Debian
GNU/Linux 7.0 (32-bit) (or the highest Debian release number available in the dropdown)]]

>>        Step 13.c) :  It should be /etc/cloudstack/management/components.xml
>>
>>        Step 15.c) : It should be /etc/cloudstack/management/db.properties
>>
>>        Step 20 :  Remove this step, it's not needed
>>
>>        Step 21.e) : It should be /etc/cloudstack/agent/agent.properties
>>
>>       Step 23.a) :  It should be cloudstack-sysvmadm
>>
>> 5. In addition to all this,  If we are using KVM hosts as rhel6.0/6.1 then these
extra steps need to be documented for each section, 3.2 and 3.3

>> (KVM on RHEL 6.0/6.1 only) If your existing CloudStack deployment includes one or
more
>> clusters of KVM hosts running RHEL 6.0 or RHEL 6.1, you must first upgrade the operating
>> system version on those hosts before upgrading CloudStack itself.
>> The first order of business will be to change the yum repository for each system
with
>> CloudStack packages. This means all management servers, and any hosts that have the
KVM
>> agent. (No changes should be necessary for hosts that are running VMware or Xen.)
>> Start by opening /etc/yum.repos.d/cloudstack.repo on any systems that have
>> CloudStack packages installed.
>>
>> [upgrade]
>> name=rhel63
>> baseurl=url-of-your-rhel6.3-repo
>> enabled=1
>> gpgcheck=0
>> [apache CloudStack]
>> name= Apache CloudStack
>> baseurl= http://cloudstack.apt-get.eu/rhel/4.0/
>> enabled=1
>> gpgcheck=0
>>
>> If you are using the community provided package repository, change the baseurl to
http://
>> cloudstack.apt-get.eu/rhel/4.2/
>>
>> If you're using your own package repository, change this line to read as appropriate
for your
>> 4.2.0 repository.
>>
>> b. Now that you have the repository configured
>> c. Upgrade the host operating system from RHEL 6.0 to 6.3:
>> yum upgrade
>>
>> 6.  Also, in all the sections 3.2 and 3.3 , add this step for agent upgrades
>>
>> After running this ,
>> Edit /etc/cloudstack/agent/agent.properties to change the resource parameter from
com.cloud.agent.resource.computing.LibvirtComputingResource to com.cloud.hypervisor.kvm.resource.LibvirtComputingResource

>> We need to run the following too,
>>
>> Upgrade all the existing bridge names to new bridge names by running this script:
>>
>> # cloudstack-agent-upgrade
>>
>> . Install a libvirt hook with the following commands:
>> # mkdir /etc/libvirt/hooks
>> # cp /usr/share/cloudstack-agent/lib/libvirtqemuhook /etc/libvirt/hooks/qemu
>> # chmod +x /etc/libvirt/hooks/qemu
>>
>> . Restart libvirtd.
>> # service libvirtd restart
>>
>> . Start the agent.
>> # service cloudstack-agent start
>>
>>    Note : This step will be added after step 13.d in section 3.2 and 21.e in section
3.3

>> 7.  We need to add a section for 4.0.x to 4.2 upgrades.
>>
>> Thanks and regards,
>> Abhinav

will get back with more comments once I am able to get to it. Few comments in-line