cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Darren Shepherd <darren.s.sheph...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: There is no upgrade path from 4.1.1 to 4.2.0
Date Wed, 11 Sep 2013 22:48:39 GMT
On 09/11/2013 09:12 AM, Alex Huang wrote:

> As for separating db version from release version.  In general I agree with that.  Again,
it's a practical thing.  Currently, cloudstack db changes with every release so even if you
separate them basically they just advance in a parallel path anyways.  I don't see any time
soon where cloudstack db schema will stabilize to a point where there's just code changes
without schema changes.  When we see that happening, we should break apart the schema from
the release version.

I'd have to disagree.  First, in a maintenance release, why are you
changing the scheme to begin with?  But, if you do, you can do the
following.  Say 4.1 was schema 42 and 4.2 in now schema version 50.  If
you do a 4.1.1 release that needs a schema change you change the schema
in version 51.  And then you install schema 51 on 4.1.

Schemas should always be backwards compatible in that old code should
run on new schema.  I don't think it is the case today as the presence
of "clean up" SQL files seems to indicate you are breaking that approach
(but I don't really know).

There's other approaches too.  I really don't think we should do too
much to continue to enhance our current approach.  I'd really prefer we
just move to flyway.  Regarding hotfixes, here's how flyway can handle
it http://flywaydb.org/documentation/faq.html#hot-fixes

I don't have the time at the moment to help move to flyway, so if
somebody else does, great.  Otherwise I'll get to it eventually.

Darren