cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Huang <Alex.Hu...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: There is no upgrade path from 4.1.1 to 4.2.0
Date Wed, 11 Sep 2013 16:12:34 GMT
> Why do we even maintain such a thing?  DB migration version should not be
> related to the release version.  So DB just goes forward in one continuous
> stream, version 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, etc.

I also meant to reply about this part.  DB upgrade as a continuous stream is nice in theory
but really not achievable in practice.

Consider release timing as follows, each with its own db upgrades.

4.1
4.2
4.1.1 --- where it is branched from 4.1 and is based on 4.1 but was released after 4.2
4.3

Db upgrades, therefore, is not linear.

As for separating db version from release version.  In general I agree with that.  Again,
it's a practical thing.  Currently, cloudstack db changes with every release so even if you
separate them basically they just advance in a parallel path anyways.  I don't see any time
soon where cloudstack db schema will stabilize to a point where there's just code changes
without schema changes.  When we see that happening, we should break apart the schema from
the release version.

--Alex