cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Huang <Alex.Hu...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: There is no upgrade path from 4.1.1 to 4.2.0
Date Wed, 11 Sep 2013 15:29:10 GMT

> Why do we even maintain such a thing?  DB migration version should not be
> related to the release version.  So DB just goes forward in one continuous
> stream, version 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, etc.
>
> So why do we have specific from release to release upgrades?
> Additionally, there shouldn't be a big olde 41to42.sql.  There should be
> something 0042-add-important-feature-x.sql, 0043-i-added-something-else-
> splendid.sql.

The multiple sql files upgrade is supported.  It was actually the original intent with db
upgrade but, back when we were a small team, it was easier to just edit one single file.
Now, we can definitely change to that type of convention.  It does mean a lot more sql files
but if we add a directory structure, then it shouldn't be a problem.

--Alex