cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Prasanna Santhanam <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Question: Supported API calls in the Simulator
Date Tue, 10 Sep 2013 04:55:27 GMT
On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 12:08:11AM -0400, Chip Childers wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 4:10 PM, Edison Su <Edison.su@citrix.com> wrote:
>
> > The current implementation of simulator has its own limitation: the
> > simulator itself is a separate hypervisor type, thus a lot of condition
> > checks against hypervisor type in mgt server will fail if simulator is used.
> > For example, currently, the zone wide primary storage only works for
> > vmware and kvm, so if you add a zone wide primary storage into a zone which
> > only has simulator as hypervisor, then you can't use that zone wide primary
> > storage at all.
> > The simulator should be able to simulate any other hypervisors, maybe
> > fixed in 4.3?

Some of this dependency on the hypervisor is unavoidable but will keep
improving as the architecture allows it. OTOH, Zone-Wide primary storage
should be easy to add to the simulator, I'll look into that.

> Yeah, that's probably the best way to fix this up. Being able to have the
> simulator "emulate" another HV for the orchestration logic would be good.
>  OTOH, I don't think we want to make this overly complex...

The original problem posed by David about the NPE comes because of a
config check from the `hypervisor_capabilities` table, if you include
a row for the simulator similar to the other hypervisors then you
should be able to get past the NPE.
--
Prasanna.,