cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Geoff Higginbottom <geoff.higginbot...@shapeblue.com>
Subject CloudStack Server Memory Requirements
Date Thu, 26 Sep 2013 12:10:44 GMT
I've been testing the 4.2 release of CloudStack using Virtual Box and have noticed a need to
allocate significantly more memory to the VM.  Previously I would use a CentOS VM with 1 GB
of RAM for the installation but then drop the memory to 512MB, leaving plenty of RAM on the
host machine to then stand up a XenServer VM or a KVM VM etc.

I initially had problems logging into 4.2 after a clean install, and discovered that only
by increasing the memory to 2GB could I get the system to function.

I am quite shocked that the memory footprint has increased 400% between releases.  Obviously
for a real production system, allocating more than 2GB or RAM to CloudStack is not an issue,
but it does make standing up a simple test environment in Virtual Box more difficult.

Does anyone have ideas why this has increased and is it something that should be looked at.

Regards

Geoff Higginbottom
CTO / Cloud Architect

D: +44 20 3603 0542<tel:+442036030542> | S: +44 20 3603 0540<tel:+442036030540>

geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com<mailto:geoff.higginbottom@shapeblue.com> | www.shapeblue.com

18/19 September, Bangalore<http://www.shapeblue.com/cloudstack-bootcamp-training-course/>
02/03 October, London<http://www.shapeblue.com/cloudstack-bootcamp-training-course/>
13/14 November, London<http://www.shapeblue.com/cloudstack-bootcamp-training-course/>