cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Koushik Das <koushik....@citrix.com>
Subject Re: [BUG] vSphere - VMs are force powered off by ACS
Date Tue, 27 Aug 2013 06:43:51 GMT
During MS restart as part of host connect, vm sync happens. This may be stopping VMs if there
is a mismatch in actual state and what is present in the database. Do you see anything useful
in the MS logs?

-Koushik

On 27-Aug-2013, at 4:20 AM, "Musayev, Ilya" <imusayev@webmd.net> wrote:

> I've been trying to figure out an issue where some of my VMs will go offline if I restart
cloudstack management service.

> After digging for a bit, I found a culprit.
>
> If you don't have vmware tools installed, ACS checks the state of vm (I.e. running or
stopped, as well as agentState)

> If VM state is running and agentState - is not (I'm under assumption vmware tools is
agentState) then ACS powers off the guest - when ACS management server is restarted.

> So I'm trying to figure out if this is by design or a bug?
>
> In my case, fedora 17 does not have official vmware tools and neither do some other Ubuntu
distros. I can try to get openvmtools to work, but I'm thinking - why would ACS care?