cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Donal Lafferty <donal.laffe...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: Disk Allocated Versus Disk Used
Date Thu, 15 Aug 2013 09:33:00 GMT
Hi Mike,

I've had problems with GUI stats as well.  I tried to solve the issue by focusing on the kernel
commands that are used to populate database entries the GUI relies on.

There seem to be three important commands:  GetStorageStatsCommand, StartupStorageCommand
and ModifyStoragePoolCommand.  GetStorageStatsCommand is called on a regular basis, StartupStorageCommand
is returned by a Hypervisor agent once when it connects to the management  server, and  ModifyStoragePoolCommand
 is called once when primary storage is configured.  The commands have fields for capacity,
used, and available.

Problems were that I found the term 'capacity' ambiguous, and that ModifyStroagePoolCommand
seemed to take a different view on what 'availableBytes' means.

For, 'capacity',  I went with an implementation that set 'capacity' to total storage device
volume and 'available' to unallocated space.  E.g.

public static void GetCapacityForLocalPath(string localStoragePath, out long capacityBytes,
out long availableBytes)
{
    System.IO.DriveInfo poolInfo = new System.IO.DriveInfo(fullPath);
    capacityBytes = poolInfo.TotalSize;
    availableBytes = poolInfo.AvailableFreeSpace;

'used' became the difference between the two, e.g. for GetStorageStatsCommand

object ansContent = new
{
    result = result,
    details = details,
    capacity = capacity,
    used = capacity - available
};
return ReturnCloudStackTypedJArray(ansContent, CloudStackTypes.GetStorageStatsAnswer);

StartupStorageCommand does not have a 'used'.  Instead it returns "available" and "capacity",
e.g.

StoragePoolInfo pi = new StoragePoolInfo(
                        poolGuid.ToString(),
                        ipAddr,
                        localStoragePath,
                        localStoragePath,
                        StoragePoolType.Filesystem.ToString(),
                        capacity,
                        available);

However, I have a note on the ModifyStoragePoolCommand to double check the meaning of available.
 E.g.

var poolInfo = new
{
    uuid = uuid,
    host = cmd.pool.host,
    localPath = cmd.pool.host,
    hostPath = cmd.localPath,
    poolType = cmd.pool.type,
    capacityBytes = capacityBytes,
    // TODO:  double check whether you need 'available' or 'used' bytes?
    availableBytes = availableBytes
};

What has your experience been with ModifyStoragePoolCommand?

Finally, if the agent reconnects with a different identifier, you end up two entries in the
database.  One for the previous connect and one for the new connection.  This messes up your
storage stats.

DL