cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Wido den Hollander <w...@widodh.nl>
Subject [KVM] Helper for agent during HA operations
Date Wed, 07 Aug 2013 17:53:05 GMT
Hi,

In our production setups we have seen some crashes of the KVM agent.
This could happen for all kinds of reasons, but that's not what I wanted
to discuss.

Also see this issue: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-3954

What I've been writing for a PoC in our company is a small helper
written in Python which runs on port 8251.

The Investigator can query this webservice (attached) which will simply
tell it which VMs are running on that host.

It's online here: http://stack01.ceph.widodh.nl:8251/

You can also do a query like this:
http://stack01.ceph.widodh.nl:8251/ping/i-2-6570-VM

This way we can more reliably verify if a specific VM is still running
if the Agent stops responding for some reason. A ICMP echo-request isn't
safe since the Security Groups could prevent ICMP from coming through.

I'd rather not have the management server query libvirt directly, since
that would open a potential security whole. This webservice is read-only
and on my production setups I have libvirt listening on the private
bridge only.

What do you think?

Wido