cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Darren Shepherd <darren.s.sheph...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: database upgrades
Date Wed, 28 Aug 2013 05:21:07 GMT
Custom java code to manage the database is every DBAs worse nightmare.  I'd be very very interested
into moving to an off the shelf DB migration tool.  I'd recommend flyway given the fact that
CloudStack only supports mysql and is very SQL DDL oriented as it stands.

I'll probably look into this a bit later.  I know personally if I had to deploy DB updates
this way to production, I would not be a happy admin.

If you find you have to do crazy weird DML for an upgrade that's only possible  in java I'd
probably say your doing something wrong.  Worst case scenario create a proc that does the
update and then drop the proc.  You need to have all migrations in SQL files such that a DBA
can review them.

For upgrades you should be able to keep java code v1 running and run the upgrade to DB v2.
 Then deploy java v2 code.  Having to shutdown and big bang do DB and java is too risky of
a deployment.  Many many companies separate application and DB to completely different teams.

Not to mention runtime DB user has DML rights.  Ever tried to pass an audit with stuff like
that, yikes.

Darren