cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Prasanna Santhanam <...@apache.org>
Subject NetworkElements: configure the provider to enable the provider?
Date Sat, 31 Aug 2013 08:36:17 GMT
I'm looking to enable network service providers without actually
adding the device but it appears as if the addition of the device is
coupled with the enabling of the provider. While this is not the case
with default providers like VR, VpcVR, security groups and the
InternalLbVm?

What is the reason for the restriction placed on External
NetworkElements? In marvin integration tests [1] we want to be able to
enable the provider whilst deployment and later add VPX Netscalers per
test but this is not possible since the Netscaler provider cannot be
enabled during the deployment of CloudStack. The problem exists with
the implementation of other providers as well like JuniperSRX,
F5BigIp.

Nicira and Midonet however are always ready to be enabled.

I tried the following via API:

$add networkserviceprovider name=Netscaler physicalnetworkid=0d1a18d5-837e-4973-8b06-ff1f3a8bdbfd

The netscaler element is registered successfully but disabled:
mysql> select id, state, provider_name, physical_network_id from
physical_network_service_providers;
+----+----------+-----------------------+---------------------+
| id | state    | provider_name         | physical_network_id |
+----+----------+-----------------------+---------------------+
|  1 | Enabled  | VirtualRouter         |                 200 |
|  2 | Disabled | SecurityGroupProvider |                 200 |
|  3 | Enabled  | VpcVirtualRouter      |                 200 |
|  4 | Enabled  | InternalLbVm          |                 200 |
|  5 | Disabled | Netscaler             |                 200 |
|  6 | Disabled | JuniperSRX            |                 200 |
+----+----------+-----------------------+---------------------+
6 rows in set (0.00 sec)

So I enable it using:

$update networkserviceprovider id=1a266697-838a-4322-b894-235bdc158da1 state=Enabled

Async job d830d7aa-2a1e-44a4-a736-4885a668e8a6 failed
Error 530, Provider is not ready, cannot Enable the provider, please configure the provider
first
accountid = e31a616a-1212-11e3-8a03-ef159ac306d1
cmd = org.apache.cloudstack.api.command.admin.network.UpdateNetworkServiceProviderCmd
created = 2013-08-31T13:58:12+0530
jobid = d830d7aa-2a1e-44a4-a736-4885a668e8a6
jobprocstatus = 0
jobresult:
errorcode = 530
errortext = Provider is not ready, cannot Enable the provider, please
configure the provider first
jobresultcode = 530
jobresulttype = object
jobstatus = 2
userid = e31a7560-1212-11e3-8a03-ef159ac306d1

These steps feel counter-intuitive and the error message is a little confusing too.
It says I need to configure the provider to enable the provider?

[1] https://reviews.apache.org/r/13889/
--
Prasanna.,