cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: systemVM templates
Date Sat, 13 Jul 2013 10:42:41 GMT
On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 3:54 AM, Rohit Yadav <bhaisaab@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 12:53 AM, Chip Childers
> <chip.childers@sungard.com>wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 12:10:08AM +0530, Rohit Yadav wrote:
>> > Hi Abhi,
>> >
>> > You may upload on your people.apache.org/~ hosting space (which is on
>> > Apache infra as well) and give the links to the community?
>>
>> That may not be something that Infra wants us to do in the p.a.o space,
>> but I could be wrong.
>>

> I not sure either, but I've seen people host different sorts of things,
> binaries etc. and if Infra does not want us to do such things it kind of
> beats the purpose of p.a.o space for publishing fair use contents related
> to ASF projects. Can anyone help verify this?
>
> If these things are not allowed by the ASF Infra, we can surely host it on
> sourceforge or other fair use hosting providers. I can surely host them on
> my VPS and ask members of community. Also, does that mean I need to move
> DevCloud2 appliance among other things from my p.a.o space?
>
> Cheers.

The problem infra has isn't with you hosting content there. They
assume that you'll not do things that are legally or morally unfit.
The issue is pushing what is effectively a project download (and a
large project download) that will be for general user consumption to
people.a.o. To minimize the bandwidth impact to our generous colo
providers, they've erected a mirror system to spread the load; and
prefer that you use that rather than overloading a single provider and
single machine.

If we really wish to publish systemvms as a project, and not use
Wido;s  or some other system, we'd need to request permission from
Legal to essentially host a convenience binary with lots of Cat-X
licensed material, and actually put it in dist.

--David