cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From John Burwell <jburw...@basho.com>
Subject Re: Specifying Storage Provider for Primary Storage Creation/Registration
Date Fri, 12 Jul 2013 16:55:58 GMT
David,

The capability you are describing is the generic properties idea that we discuss at Collab
(see http://markmail.org/message/jtntptrouvvzsdgi for a capture).  Essentially, drivers would
be alb to provide meta-data definition for a property bag associated with DataStore instances.
 This metadata would be used to render additional fields on the UI based on the driver selected.
  We would also add callbacks to the driver to validate the property bag before persisting
it to ensure that validity of its contents.  Finally, this property bag would be passed into
all driver operations -- allowing underlying operations to exploit the additional configuration
information.

What do you think the requirements of such a facility would be?

Thanks,
-John

On Jul 12, 2013, at 10:40 AM, "La Motta, David" <David.LaMotta@netapp.com> wrote:

> Mike, Edison, et al., this brings up the question of what UI will be displayed when the
user selects a storage vendor's plugin implementation.  In other words, IMO the ideal scenario
is to have the ability to allow the storage plugin's implementer to display a custom UI.
That way, the traditional add-primary-storage form is replaced with whatever the vendor decides
to provide _to_meet_their_needs_.  This could be a longer form with different fields, a wizard,
basically... anything.

> Now, the one-or-nothing approach is a bit draconian, so the new implementation could
be a bit flexible and display the default add-primary-storage form if the vendor isn't providing
a UI.  This also means that a new mechanism has to be added to query a vendor's implementation
to see if a UI is going to be provided or not.

> In general, I believe this gives the most flexibility to storage [or any other] plugin
implementers, since it gives them the ability to fulfill a UI request with something a little
more custom.  And I'm not thinking in terms of branding or anything like that, I am thinking
in terms of giving the ability to the vendor to capture other important info to be able to
complete the request in the first place.