cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Edison Su <Edison...@citrix.com>
Subject [ACS42] Duplicate S3 and Swift Object Storage Features
Date Fri, 26 Jul 2013 18:02:08 GMT
"I see prodded a facility to convert NFS secondary storage to object storage as an enhancement
where the lack of a migration path is a blocking defect."
I have different view on this item, regarding the priority. At one hand, we have almost all
of cloudstack users are using NFS as secondary storage, if there is no way to upgrade to S3,
then all of existing CloudStack deployment can't upgrade to use your Basho CS, or Amazon S3.
On the other hand, there is tiny users are using S3/Swift(S3 in 4.0/4.1 even can't backup
snapshot, and nobody reports the issue before, so I assume there is zero cloudstack users
are using S3 in 4.0/4.1).
Then fix the upgrade path  for S3 from 4.0 to 4.2 has little gain for the whole CloudStack
users(as the user base is almost zero), while fix the upgrade path from NFS to S3 will benefit
the whole community a lot.
So, which one has the higher priority? Isn't obvious?

From: John Burwell [mailto:jburwell@basho.com]
Sent: Friday, July 26, 2013 7:15 AM
To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
Cc: Min Chen
Subject: Re: [ACS42] Duplicate S3 and Swift Object Storage Features

Edison,

Unfortunately, given the time remaining the 4.2 release cycle, the most that can likely be
done is to remove these global options.  Due to the massive amount of cruft that will be created
when these global options are removed, I am disappointed that a more a comprehensive code
removal was not performed as part of this effort.  I have opened defect CLOUDSTACK-3861 to
address the duplicate functionality and task CLOUDSTACK-3862 to address removal of the dead
code post 4.2.0.

I completely disagree regarding the migration path issue.  As we have discussed in the past
on the list, we have no way of knowing what features are in the use across the community.
 Therefore, migration paths for feature replacements must always be provided in order to avoid
a scenario where users are stranded.  4.1.0 users employing NFS secondary storage upgrading
to 4.2.0 will suffer no loss of functionality.  However, 4.1.0 users using either S3 or Swift-backed
secondary storage will lose capability.  I see prodded a facility to convert NFS secondary
storage to object storage as an enhancement where the lack of a migration path is a blocking
defect.  As such, I have opened defect CLOUDSTACK-3360 [2] to address this issue.

Thanks,
-John

[1]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-3861
[2]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-3862