cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From "La Motta, David" <David.LaMo...@netapp.com>
Subject Re: Specifying Storage Provider for Primary Storage Creation/Registration
Date Fri, 12 Jul 2013 14:40:04 GMT
Mike, Edison, et al., this brings up the question of what UI will be displayed when the user
selects a storage vendor's plugin implementation.  In other words, IMO the ideal scenario
is to have the ability to allow the storage plugin's implementer to display a custom UI.
That way, the traditional add-primary-storage form is replaced with whatever the vendor decides
to provide _to_meet_their_needs_.  This could be a longer form with different fields, a wizard,
basically... anything.

Now, the one-or-nothing approach is a bit draconian, so the new implementation could be a
bit flexible and display the default add-primary-storage form if the vendor isn't providing
a UI.  This also means that a new mechanism has to be added to query a vendor's implementation
to see if a UI is going to be provided or not.

In general, I believe this gives the most flexibility to storage [or any other] plugin implementers,
since it gives them the ability to fulfill a UI request with something a little more custom.
 And I'm not thinking in terms of branding or anything like that, I am thinking in terms of
giving the ability to the vendor to capture other important info to be able to complete the
request in the first place.

David La Motta
Technical Marketing Engineer
Citrix Solutions