cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Prasanna Santhanam <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How to evaluate performance of a resource allocation policy?
Date Wed, 10 Jul 2013 10:20:57 GMT
On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 02:47:44AM -0700, Linux TUX wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks to Chip and Alex. To test theories, we can use different
> solutions such as random process, the Monte Carlo simulation, and so
> forth, and we do not even always need to pay this much attention to
> details of a specific structure like the Marvin testing page does
> for it.
> However, by using simulation, I meant something like the solution that has been mentioned
by Gulatietal. in [1]. They mentioned that:

Can you explain further about the specific resource structure? You can
define any structure you like using the configGenerator. But I'd
assume you stick to a model / group of models to base your simulation
upon?

> "To develop and evaluate various algorithms, we implemented a
> simulator that simulates a cluster of ESX hosts and VMs. The
> simulator allows us to create different VM and host profiles in
> order to experiment with different configurations. For example, a VM
> can be defined in
> terms of a number of virtual CPUs (vCPUs), configured CPU (in MHz) and configured memory
size (in MB). Similarly a host can be defined
> using parameters such as number of physical cores, CPU (MHz) per core, total memory size,
power consumption when idle etc.
> In terms of workload, the simulator supports arbitrary workload specifications for each
VM over time and generates CPU and memory demand for that VM based on the specification."

This is exactly what the simulator provides. Granted there is no real
hardware backing the infrastrucutre. But the problem of orchestration
that cloudstack attempts to solve abstracts us from thinking about the
nature of physical resource - ESXi, KVM, what have you. Beyond that
you can define offerings (tuples defining the cpu, memory, disk etc)
that cloudstack uses to plan, allocate and deploy the virutal
resources. Once you have that and the model/structure of the entire
cloud infrastructure would you be able to simulate resource allocation
policies on that?

--
Prasanna.,