cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From "Han,Meng" <meng...@ufl.edu>
Subject Re: [GSOC]CloudStack deployment questions
Date Wed, 19 Jun 2013 14:53:37 GMT
Thank you very much for your reply!

On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 10:30:22 +0530, Prasanna Santhanam wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 10:45:27PM -0400, Han,Meng wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a few questions about CloudStack deployment.
>>
>> 1. I am trying to deploy CloudStack, use CloudStack to start a
>> cluster and run hadoop on it. Now I have only one computer with
>> virtulization extension support in hardware and the OS is ubuntu
>> 12.04.
>
> I'm no hadoop person but if you require large swaths of storage you
> are going to use I imagine that will be external to your development
> environment. Is this true?

Testing the well functionality of hadoop might need large storage as
hadoop is designed for big data:)
But at this moment I am not quite sure what exactly need to be tailored
for hadoop case. I will come back
to this as soon as I figured it out.

>> what would be a good deployment suit?
>>
>> Devcloud? It seems like the tiny linux guest VM in devcloud won't be
>> sufficient to play with hadoop.
>
> You can register a VM of your choice in devcloud from the UI. If
> devcloud is unsuitable, tell us what is missing and we can see if it
> can be tailored to fit your use case.
>

>> Install Xenserver on my desktop, using one VM as the management
>> server and other VMs as guest VMs.
>>
>> Install management server on my ubuntu desktop. Using KVM to
>> provision guest VMs. This is the guide I found for this solution:
>>
>> http://cloudstack.apache.org/docs/en-US/Apache_CloudStack/4.0.2/html/Quick_Install_Guide/index.html
>>
>> Or anything else?
>>

> You can run all the management server code from your laptop as a
> development environment and add an external hypervisor host (Either
> Xen/KVM) to it. The guests, system VMs etc will then be deployed on
> your host and not eat up any memory on your laptop. Management server
> does require quite a bit of memory to run and having Hypervisor +
> Management server + storage + kitchen sink will slow it down (unless
> you just need devcloud).

I will add another hypervisor host. Is there any network requirement
for the management server and hypervisor host?

May I know how does the management server know the hypervisor host and
include it to its management?

>> 2. When I try to deploy management server on my desktop. I
>> encountered below error when running the command "mvn -P developer
>> -pl developer,tools/devcloud -Ddeploydb" in this tutorial:
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/CLOUDSTACK/devcloud.html
>
> Did mvn -Pdeveloper -Dsystevm clean install succeed for you?

Yes, this step works for me.

>> ========> WARNING: Provided file does not exist:
>> /home/meng/cloudstack/developer/../utils/conf/db.properties.override
>> ========> Initializing database=cloud with host=localhost port=3306
>> username=cloud password=cloud
>> ============> Running query: drop database if exists `cloud`
>> SQL exception in trying initDB: java.sql.SQLException: Access denied
>> for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)
>>
> Does your mysql instance have a root password? If so you'll have to
> put that into db.properties.override file under utils/conf.
>
> I see the wiki(s) are missing this info, so we'll need to edit that
> with this step if it works for you.

I create a file named db.properties.override under utils/conf. Put my
root password inside it and it works!

> let us know.
>

>> I am running the mvn command as root.  Mysql is setup locally.

The command "mvn -pl :cloud-client-ui jetty:run" gives me a
error:[INFO] Couldn't find specified project dir:
/home/meng/cloudstack/:cloud-client-ui

I notice that there is no cloud-client-ui directory under cloudstack.
So I switched to "mvn -pl client jetty:run", however it told me the
maven-jetty-plugin does not exist.

[INFO] Searching repository for plugin with prefix: 'jetty'.
[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] The plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-jetty-plugin' does
not exist or no valid version could be found

Any light on this?

Thanks!