cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] If BVT breaks, revert the commits...
Date Sat, 29 Jun 2013 03:43:36 GMT
On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 8:18 PM, Alex Huang <Alex.Huang@citrix.com> wrote:
> After Dave's complain in the vmsync [MERGE] thread about BVT in horrible shape on master,
I went around to figure out what exactly happened.  The best I can figure is that after a
certain merge (I will leave out which merge as that's not important), BVT no longer runs automatically.
 It was promised to be fixed and there are people who are actively fixing it but it's been
in this way for about two weeks.  People running BVTs are working around the problem but it's
not automated anymore and so it's no longer running on master.  I understand people are nice
and tried to be accommodating to other people by working around the problem but sometimes
we just have to be an arse.  So let me be that arse...

> New Rule....
> If BVT or automated regression tests break on master or any release branch, we revert
all commits that broke it.  It doesn't matter if they promise to fix it within the next hour.
 If it's broken, the release manager will revert the commits and developers must resubmit.
 It sounds mean but it's the only way this problem can be fixed.

> To avoid having a bunch of reverts and resubmits, the developers should be able to request
that BVT run on their branch and don't merge until BVT on their branch is at 100%.  We will
work on figuring out how to do that.

> Comments?
>
> --Alex

+100 - not only +100 but I will increment ASFBots $beverage counter a
few in your favor for suggesting this.

--David