cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: [MERGE] Merge VMSync improvement branch into master
Date Thu, 27 Jun 2013 23:33:47 GMT
On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 5:51 PM, Hugo Trippaers <hugo@trippaers.nl> wrote:

> I think Ilya offers is great, my current stance is also to see how we can bring this
forward.

> I've had the opportunity to meet with several people at the Citrix office in Santa Clara,
i'm actually working from their office at this moment. I think it's also the responsibility
of someone who put in a -1 to work with the original committer to get the situation resolved.
So i'll invest the time to help with the review as well.

> It would be great if Alex or Kelven could take the time to explain how this feature has
been tested. That would give the community some insight as well.

> My main technical problem with this merge is that stuff is moving all over the place
without having even the slightest idea why. Now having discussed this with Alex in person
i get the general idea of this merge, so can actually try to review it.

> I think that John have nicely explained what we could do to prevent situations like this
in advance. I fully understand that big features or rewrites don't happen overnight and might
show up near the end of the release cycle. With the time based release cycle it's always a
risk that some feature might not make it in on time. Getting more people involved and chunking
the commits into master will greatly speed up the reviewing process.

> I'll get back to this after spending some time on reviewing the actual patch. In fact
i would like to ask more people to have a look at this patch and reply to this thread with
comments or remarks.

> Cheers,
>
> Hugo

So the problem in my mind, is that we don't have a way of verifying
that master isn't broken, and won't be broken by any given merge. I
look at even the minimal level of automated testing that I see today,
and ~20% of integration tests are failing[1]. The regression set of
tests (which isn't running as often) is seeing 75% of tests
failing[2]. Heaping on more change when we are demonstrably already
failing in many places is not behaving responsibly IMO.
The question I'd pose is this - running the various automated tests is
pretty cheap - whats the output of that compared to the current test
output on master? Better or worse? If it hasn't been done, why not?
I desperately want these features, but not necessarily at the cost of
further destabilizing what we have now in master - we can't continue
accruing technical debt.

--David

[1] http://jenkins.buildacloud.org/view/cloudstack-qa/job/test-smoke-matrix/lastCompletedBuild/testReport/
[2] http://jenkins.buildacloud.org/view/cloudstack-qa/job/test-regression-matrix/28/testReport/