cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Issue with cloudmonkey-4.1.0-0 on pypi
Date Tue, 18 Jun 2013 15:38:38 GMT
On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 11:33 AM, Sebastien Goasguen <runseb@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> On 18 Jun 2013, at 17:08, David Nalley <david@gnsa.us> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 7:00 AM, Prasanna Santhanam <tsp@apache.org> wrote:
>>> On Sun, Jun 09, 2013 at 10:26:43AM -0400, David Nalley wrote:
>>>> On Sun, Jun 9, 2013 at 7:51 AM, Rohit Yadav <bhaisaab@apache.org> wrote:
>>>>> Hi,
>>>>>
>>>>> I was about to test CloudStack but the cloudmonkey-4.1.0-0 release on
pypi
>>>>> does not bundle failsafe api cache so when I install it I don't get any
api
>>>>> commands. The autodiscovery using sync is useful but only with the
>>>>> ApiDiscovery plugin which works only for 4.2 and later. For 4.1 and below
I
>>>>> think we should, in that case, bundle the cache for all the apis. Or
maybe
>>>>> just oss components/plugins?
>>>>>
>>>>> I'll wait for Chip and others to comment if we want to ship it as it
is or
>>>>> bundle the cache against 4.1 release?
>>>>>
>>>>> Cheers.
>>>>
>>>> Honestly - this is exactly why I've been suggesting[1] that we break
>>>> CloudMonkey (and Marvin) out of the main repo and giving it it's own
>>>> lifecycle. It's far easier/faster to iterate cloudmonkey than all of
>>>> CloudStack and tying it to the slower lifecycle of ACS will continue
>>>> to trouble it IMO.
>>>>
>>>> --David
>>>>
>>>> [1] http://markmail.org/message/wir5vfawex3y22ot
>>>
>>> I haven't given breaking out the project much thought. But it's
>>> certainly a possibility:
>>>
>>> a) However, there are parts of the codebase (checkin tests) that depend
>>> on marvin.
>>>
>>> b) I need to come up with a easier way to update marvin across
>>> cloudstack providers to enable auto-upating marvin's libraries like
>>> cloudmonkey can. For this I've made a couple enhancements to
>>> apidiscovery but it's not in master yet and I don't have it fully
>>> figured out.
>>>
>>> Need some time to think through this.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Prasanna.,
>>>
>>> ------------------------
>>> Powered by BigRock.com
>>>
>>
>>
>> OK - are your concerns CM-related? or Marvin only?
>>
>> Any problems I am not seeing with breaking out CloudMonkey?
>>
>> Anyone else have concerns here about breaking out CloudMonkey?
>>
>> --David
>
> Could we talk about it during the hack day and report to the list ? I for one dont understand
how these break out repos would work ...process wise, release wise, ml wise etc ?


Seems like it's something that we def. need to discuss on list.

Here is my thinking:

I'd move everything under tools/cli in master to a separate repo - I'd
abandon history (unless someone objects and volunteers to extract all
of that history)

Releases - they'd be separate, with separate versioning. We'd still
vote on CM releases, but likely at a much faster rate than current
mainline ACS releases.

I don't envision a different mailing list.

Things I don't yet have opinions on. Repo name: Should it be
cloudstack-cloudmonkey.git or cloudstack-cli.git or something else?

--David

Mime
View raw message