cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Wido den Hollander <w...@widodh.nl>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Java 7, tomcat 7 and further upgrades
Date Fri, 28 Jun 2013 08:37:51 GMT
Hi,

On 06/27/2013 12:36 AM, Hugo Trippaers wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> Back in February 2013 Oracle announced the end of public support for java 1.6 already.
Today we are still using java 1.6 as our supported platform. I've been looking at the next
generation of linux distributions (well mainly at Fedora 18, which will probably become RHEL
7) and those platforms ship with java 1.7 by default.

> Next to that several core components are also upgraded with affect our installation.
RHEL 7 will most likely use tomcat 7 as the default tomcat platform for example.

> If we want to start shipping for those platform we will have to start testing with these
versions of the software as well. I'm already working on some things that need to be done,
like replacing the existing init scripts with systemd versions and adapting the spec file
for the new OS, but there is more to it than that.

Don't forget the Deb packaging ;) I'll take care of that.

> I'm wondering what we need to do on the source side of things. My proposal would be to
at least configure maven to set the source version to 1.7. This requires developers to use
the java 7 versions of the jdk. We can leave the target to 1.6 for the time being to ensure
that the packages could still run on a 1.6 jdk.

In favour of setting source to 1.7, but target 1.6 and that should at
least stay so until 4.5 I think?

> However at a certain point we should start to advice people to run CloudStack on java
1.7 as there are no more public security updates to java 1.6.

True, but that doesn't change the fact that some people might need to
run 1.6 for some other reason we can't come up with right now.

> So summarized proposal, make 4.2 the last version to support 1.6 and switch maven source
version to 1.7 after we cut the release branch for 4.2. The new reference platform for the
next release would be jdk 1.7 and tomcat7 (meaning packaging will be tested on those platforms).

Doesn't tomcat7 imply that target is also 1.6?

> So what do you all think of this? If we are ok to do this i would like to start with
this right after the release branch cut. This constitutes a major architecture change so i
would want this to be in as early as possible in the release cycle.

> And as a side note, are there any other version updates we would like to see in that
release. We depend on several ancient libraries if i'm looking through the pom files. Maybe
we should consider upgrading a few dependencies to more recent versions?

That should be a ongoing process, since dependencies indeed get newer
versions and that could bit if we don't keep up.

Wido