cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From <nfoata....@orange.com>
Subject How to propose dev ?
Date Tue, 11 Jun 2013 10:26:20 GMT
Hi Cloudstack community,

I would like to propose two developments queries if possible (see below).
However, it seems if I want to submit them, I have to send a git diff (I can do it if need
be).
Is it the good way to do it or I have to follow a specific process ?

In my mind, I thought that first we have to propose (to be sure that nobody done it or the
community is ok),
and then if everything goes fine, to do and send it.

Thanks in advance,

Have a good day,

Best regards,

Nicolas Foata

     1) VM instantiation : network information for VM

Goal: Sending network information to a new VM instance

Abstract/suggestion:
While a VM is instantiated, CloudStack could also send the following information if need be
:
- the instance name  (CS uuid)
- the display name
- VM tags
- network information (IPv4, IPv6, netmask, routing, gateway, mac address, etc.)
just if we activate some global settings such as :
- vm.instance.boot.network.required (true/false)
- vm.instance.boot.vmname (true/false)
- vm.instance.boot.uuid (true/false)
- vm.instance.boot.tags (true/false)

Applications:
- A VM could discover its network and dialog with physical and virtual machines, etc.
- A VM do not need a virtual router
- According of this type of information (tags, names, ...) , management servers could be able
to configure and deploy correctly VMs.

2)      VM instantiation : specific information for hypervisors

Goal  : Sending specific information for the hypervisor to well instantiate a VM

Abstract/suggestion:
While a VM is instantiated, Cloudstack could send and add furthermore data for the hypervisor
coming from a new field such as 'Other options/Other configuration' for example in the 'Compute
offering' screen.
Thus, each hypervisor could decide whether it want to process the data and how or to do not
take it into account.
With a such input, Cloudstack will be able to use the specificity and the full power of each
hypervisor.

Applications:
1) On XCP, it will be possible to branch some pci straightforwardly (via pci passthrough)
2) To use the more efficiently the min, max memories (static and/or dynamic)

Please feel free to modify the text if you to find better and sexy application examples
with this two kinds of features and of course to correct mistakes.

et ne doivent donc
erreur, veuillez le signaler
susceptibles d'alteration,
France Telecom - Orange decline toute responsabilite si ce message a ete altere, deforme ou
falsifie. Merci.

be protected by law;
and its attachments.
As emails may be altered, France Telecom - Orange is not liable for messages that have been
modified, changed or falsified.
Thank you.