cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: NFS Cache storage query
Date Wed, 19 Jun 2013 17:26:38 GMT
On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 01:23:47PM -0400, John Burwell wrote:
> Chip,
>
> Good catch.  Yes, we need definitely need a create staging/temporary area API call.
However, destroy is a bit more complicated due in-flight operations.  Given the complexities
and time pressures, I recommend supporting only create in 4.2, and addressing delete in 4.3.
 Does that make sense?

If the existence of the staging datastore blocks the deleting of a
zone, or any other entity, then that doesn't work for me.

I'd rather give an operator the ability to decide how to best ensure
that in-flight operations are halted (i.e.: block users from the
environment or something else), than not give them a way to change their
configuration.

> Thanks,
> -John
>
> On Jun 19, 2013, at 1:11 PM, Chip Childers <chip.childers@sungard.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 01:07:29PM -0400, John Burwell wrote:
> >> Nitin,
> >>
> >> If we provide any APIs for the staging/temporary area, they must be read-only.
 Allowing any external manipulation of its content could cause break in-flight transfers or
cause data loss.  I think we should consider the following APIs:

> >> List contents including name, reference count, and size
> >> Summary statistics for a staging area including consumed/available/total space
and timestamp of the last garbage collection operation
> >> Force garbage collection/cleanup operation
> >>
> >> I think we should these are new API calls specific to the staging/temporary
area mechanism rather than trying to overload existing API calls.