cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: Cloning VMs in CloudStack, or not...
Date Wed, 12 Jun 2013 14:37:56 GMT
On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 02:35:18PM +0000, La Motta, David wrote:
> Hey everybody, I've got a couple of questions on cloning VM instances in CloudStack.
 I haven't seen anything in the UI that would allow me to create, say, 1000 clones of a VM
instance in a given cluster.  Is there such functionality in CloudStack?

It's a 2 step process:

1) Create a template from the source VM
2) Create VM's (using the API) from that template

> If there isn't, can I drop to the hypervisor and create the clones there, then register
all those new VMs in CloudStack?  I haven't found a command in the REST API that would allow
me to register a hypervisor VM with CloudStack.

> Would I have to create a template from the VM in the hypervisor, upload the template
to CS, then create an instance out of that template?  Rinse and repeat 1000 times?

CS doesn't really handle changes done within the HV directly.  Use the
steps listed above.

> I am thinking in terms of a service provider who may have the need to pump out large
quantities of VMs from within CloudStack.