cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Vijayendra Bhamidipati <vijayendra.bhamidip...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: VMware API Question
Date Wed, 29 May 2013 23:05:47 GMT
Hi Mike,

Your opensource vi java code will be close to what you would implement using the closed source
vi sdk, so though you will have to rewrite some code, it should be possible to reuse much
of your core code, especially with spec preparation and the like. Cloudstack code already
has useful functions that let you retrieve dynamic properties etc from MORs, so you would
need to replace some of your vi java code with those functions. You cannot however mix vi
java with vi sdk in cloudstack, which uses only vi sdk. You also won't need to setup the vmware
service context, it's already there in Vmwareresource.java, so you can use that.

Regards,
Vijay

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Tutkowski [mailto:mike.tutkowski@solidfire.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 2:40 PM
To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: VMware API Question

Hi,

I recently completed work in the new storage framework related to XenServer where I dynamically
create a storage repository when attaching a newly created volume, if need be.

I now need to implement the same concept for VMware.

The idea is that I have zone-wide primary storage that is backed by a plug-in (all new in
4.2).

When the user creates a volume, we still just add a row to the volumes table that describes
this volume.

When the user goes to attach this volume to a VM, the storage framework invokes my plug-in
and my plug-in goes off to its SAN to create a volume...returning info like IQN.

Next the VMware attach logic is invoked. In this dynamic kind of zone-wide storage, I need
to detect in this VMware code that we do not yet have a datastore and create this datastore
based on the IQN I returned earlier (and other info like IP address).

I have this all working for XenServer and am now turning my attention to VMware.

My question is simply this:

It looks like VmwareResourse is written with VI SDK. Since I have my "create/delete datastore"
logic already written in the VI Java API ( http://vijava.sourceforge.net/), I was wondering
if it's possible to mix these two approaches or if I will have to re-write my code.

Thanks!

--
*Mike Tutkowski*
e: mike.tutkowski@solidfire.com