cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From "Musayev, Ilya" <imusa...@webmd.net>
Subject RE: [PROPOSAL] VMSync improvement to better co-operate with external managers for features like HA/DRS and FT
Date Mon, 06 May 2013 17:16:29 GMT
Hi Kelven,

> 2) Serialize VM operations
> Currently, state transition handling always happens at in-place context, for example,
when management server receives hypervisor VM state report, the handling of the report is
processed within the context, even if there may be another thread that is handling user  request
on the same VM. Although we try to coordinate by checking the state of the VM, by simplify
failing it with concurrent-access exception.
> In the new design, we will try to serialize activities to the same VM through job facility,
since there always be one active operation is in executing, the state transition logic can
be simplified. Take the VM migrating case, as it involves with two hosts, in previous model,
 with VM state report from different hosts, we have to handle it carefully as the host report
may come at un-predicted order.

It is my understanding that by serializing the operations - we fix the issue with concurrent
tasks for the same object. How would this affect the end user performance, assuming 10 users
execute 10 tasks on 10 different VMs, would they all go in the queue and wait for their turn?

Thanks
ilya