cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Hugo Trippaers <HTrippa...@schubergphilis.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Backwards compatibility
Date Tue, 14 May 2013 15:34:00 GMT
Hey all,

We have invested a lot of effort in creating upgrade paths from older releases to the latest
version. As a sysadmin this is one of the things I value CloudStack for.

However as a developers there are some drawbacks to this. It means every time we release a
new version we need to QA the entire upgrade path to check if users can upgrade to this new
versions. With the speed and features we are picking up, I'm expecting this to become a large
burden in the near future. My proposal would be to draw a line somewhere. Personally I think
it would be ok to say to a user that wants to upgrade from version 2.2.14 to 4.2 to first
upgrade to version 4.0.x en than upgrade to 4.2.x.  For our code it does not really matter
that much, but it does matter for QA and packaging.

For QA we can safely assume that the upgrades from 2.2.14 to 4.0 are covered by the 4.0 release.
If we run into trouble, we release a maintenance release of that version. QA for new versions
should focus on a stable upgrade path for one or two recent versions and can "ignore" old
versions in the process.  With only a few versions to test against we could also automate
parts of this.

For packaging it is also great. Especially with the current changes in naming (from cloud
to cloudstack) and potential future changes to integrate better with distributions it becomes
handy  to be able to have short upgrade paths. How reasonable is it to have an upgrade path
for 2.2.14 in the RPM when that rpm is built for RedHat 7.

I would be in favor of supporting upgrades from the first major release in any series. For
example 4.1, 4.2 and 5.0 should have a tested upgrade path from 4.0. 5.1 would have an upgrade
path only from 5.0.

What do you guys think?

Cheers,

Hugo

P.S. ignore the version numbers, just used some random version numbers to illustrate my ideas.