cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Wido den Hollander <w...@widodh.nl>
Subject Re: [MERGE] disk_io_throttling to MASTER
Date Fri, 31 May 2013 12:39:26 GMT
Hi Wei,

On 05/30/2013 06:03 PM, Wei ZHOU wrote:
> Hi,
> I would like to merge disk_io_throttling branch into master.
> If nobody object, I will merge into master in 48 hours.
> The purpose is :
>
> Virtual machines are running on the same storage device (local storage or
> share strage). Because of the rate limitation of device (such as iops), if
> one VM has large disk operation, it may affect the disk performance of
> other VMs running on the same storage device.
> It is neccesary to set the maximum rate and limit the disk I/O of VMs.

Looking at the code I see you make no difference between Read and Write
IOps.

Qemu and libvirt support setting both a different rate for Read and
Write IOps which could benefit a lot of users.

It's also strange, in the polling side you collect both the Read and
Write IOps, but on the throttling side you only go for a global value.

Write IOps are usually much more expensive then Read IOps, so it seems
like a valid use-case where that an admin would set a lower value for
write IOps vs Read IOps.

Since this only supports KVM at this point I think it would be of great
value to at least have the mechanism in place to support both,
implementing this later would be a lot of work.

If a hypervisor doesn't support setting different values for read and
write you can always sum both up and set that as the total limit.

Can you explain why you implemented it this way?

Wido