cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Wido den Hollander <w...@widodh.nl>
Subject Re: [MERGE]object_store branch into master
Date Tue, 28 May 2013 10:53:36 GMT

On 05/23/2013 06:35 PM, Chip Childers wrote:
> On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 09:25:10PM +0000, Edison Su wrote:

primary storage refactor into master and bug fixes during March(http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.cloudstack.devel/14469),
then started to work on the secondary storage refactor in April(http://markmail.org/message/cspb6xweeupfvpit).
Min and I finished the coding at end of April, then tested for two weeks, send out the merge
request at middle of May.
>> With the refactor, the  storage code will be much cleaner, and the performance of
S3 will be improved, and integration with other storage vendor will be much easier, and the
quality is ok(33 bugs fired, only 5 left: https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=text%20~%20%22Object_Store_Refactor%22).
Anyway, it's up to the community to decide, merge it or not, we already tried our best to
get it done ASAP.

> I'm absolutely not questioning the time and effort here.  I know that
> you have been working hard, and that testing is happening!
>
> I'm only asking if we, as a community, want to follow the practice of
> bringing changes like this in early or late in a cycle.  I thought we
> had agreed on doing it early.

So I tried reviewing the code, but I have to say that it is a lot of
code. Reviewing such a large piece of code isn't easy.

Now, let me be honest, I'd love to see this in 4.2 since it would make
the Ceph integration a lot better. We can get rid of NFS as Secondary
Storage and use Ceph as the only storage for CS.

Yes, it might need some work after this branch has been merged, but I do
agree that it's a lot of work to maintain a branch next to master. Even
with smaller fixes you have to do a lot to keep up.

Imho a feature freeze is a feature freeze. It's set for May 31st and
afterwards we start ironing the bugs out, but no new merges from other
branches.

We will need the full support from Edison and Co to help iron out these
bugs. Maybe something will be broken after the merge and that should be
fixed asap then.

Again, my opinion in this is a bit coloured, but I think this will be a
great addition to CloudStack, it would make 4.2 a killer release.

Wido