cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Francois Gaudreault <fgaudrea...@cloudops.com>
Subject Re: VMWare SCSI Controller Type
Date Wed, 22 May 2013 19:48:37 GMT
Ilya,

> While I am agree that we need variable support, it's a bit complex to put together.
>
> Basically you could have multiple clusters with different ESXi versions. Worse yet, within
the same cluster you could have multiple ESXi versions (I know this is a bad design). Its
much easier to set the default know applicable config that will work on range of hypervisors,
vs chasing latest/gratest.

> If it's a global setting change, its probably something fairly simple to do.
>
> How do you see this being implemented?
The way I was seeing this: give the type on a per template basis. The
CloudStack documentation is quite clear, the supported versions of
VMWare are 4.1 or 5.0 (and up).  I will have to double check, but I
think the four SCSI types were part of VMWare 4.1, so technically, is
shouldn't be an issue since all of the current types in 5.1 appears to
be part of the 4.1 tree as well. I think that LSI Parallel is the only
type available if the hardware version is 4 (Fusion type hypervisors),
while others are available if version is 7 (default ESX version).

Thanks!

--
Francois Gaudreault
fgaudreault@cloudops.com