cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From "Toshiaki Hatano" <toshiaki.hat...@verio.net>
Subject [DISCUSS] Linux native VXLAN support on KVM hypervisor
Date Wed, 01 May 2013 20:58:12 GMT
Hi all,

I’d like to add Linux native VXLAN support on KVM hypervisor.

Currently, advanced zone with VLAN isolation can hold only 4k networks (= accounts) in a zone
due to the VLAN ID limitation.
4k accounts per zone is not enough for IaaS provider like us.
Furthermore, VPC will allow single account to consume multiple networks.

Linux kernel 3.7 or later supports VXLAN as part of its ordinal networking function.
VXLAN enable Layer 2 tunneling over UDP/IP with VLAN-like encapsulation and allow 16M isolated
networks in the domain.
So, by using linux native VXLAN support, we can extend network limits without introducing
unnecessary complexity.
(But in other words, it’s not as flexible as Open vSwitch. Only thing Linux native VXLAN
provides is multipoint L2 tunneling.)

Any thoughts about this?

P.S.

I’m currently working on this as my internship project.
As proof of concept, I’ve modified “modifyvlan.sh” script which is actual VLAN create/delete
manipulation script called from cloud-agent, to create and to use VXLAN interface instead
of VLAN interface.
Modified script is tested with CloudStack 4.0.1 and 3 KVM hypervisors based on CentOS 6.4
+ 3.8.6 kernel.
And it looks working. (But I’m still testing)

P.S.2.

FYI: OpenStack already started process [1] to support Linux native VXLAN.
[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/26516/

Best Regards,
--
Toshiaki Hatano
Verio, an NTT Communications company

This email message is intended for the use of the person to whom it has been sent, and may
contain information that is confidential or legally protected. If you are not the intended
recipient or have received this message in error, you are not authorized to copy, distribute,
or otherwise use this message or its attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by
return e-mail and permanently delete this message and any attachments. Verio Inc. makes no
warranty that this email is error or virus free.  Thank you.