cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] How to best do time sync. (WAS: [VOTE] Release Apache CloudStack 4.1.0 (fifth round))
Date Thu, 30 May 2013 18:16:11 GMT
On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 06:14:04PM +0000, Musayev, Ilya wrote:
> John,
>
> For vmware, you have 2 options, clock sync will work with native NTP daemon using local
ntp servers in your datacenter or use vmware tools native time keeping technique.

> We have over 2500 VMs, and while we have vmware tools installed on all vms, we choose
to use native linux NTPD for time sync VS vmware hypervisor provided time sync. In past, vmware
tools time sync was buggy and not recommended, so we decided to keep it simple and make use
of existing ntp servers. As of now, inherent issues maybe, if you go through major upgrade
of Vsphere, if you change vmware hardware version, if you don't update the tools - you have
3 places where time keeping may break (though I hope vmware dev team consider all that - it
is still a possibility)

+1 to this...  we do the same thing.  NTP is much more maintainable, and
we don't trust the tools-based sync (due to bugs we encountered).