cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Sudha Ponnaganti <sudha.ponnaga...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: [GSOC] Community Bonding Period
Date Wed, 29 May 2013 10:06:48 GMT
All the best!

-----Original Message-----
From: Sebastien Goasguen [mailto:runseb@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 1:38 AM
To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
Cc: Dharmesh Kakadia; Meng Han; Ian Duffy; Nguyen Anh Tu; Shiva Teja
Subject: [GSOC] Community Bonding Period

Hi Dharmesh, Meng, Ian, Nguyen and Shiva,

Congratulations again on being selected for the 2013 Google Summer of Code.

The program has started and we are now in "community bonding period". On June 17th you will
officially start to code.

I will mentor Dharmesh and Meng
Abhi will mentor Ian
Hugo will mentor Nguyen
Kelcey will mentor Shiva
I will act as overall coordinator.

While these are your official mentors from a Google perspective, the entire CloudStack community
will help you.

There are a few things to keep in mind:
-The timeline: Check [0]. Note that there are evaluations throughout the program and that
if progress is not satisfactory you can be dropped from the program. Hopefully with terrific
mentoring from us all at CloudStack this will not happen and you will finish the program with
flying colors.

-Email: At the Apache Software Foundation, official communication happen via email, so make
sure you are registered to the dev@cloudstack.apache.org (you are). This is a high traffic
list, so remember to setup mail filters and be sure to keep the GSOC emails where you can
read them, without filters you will be overwhelmed and we don't want that to happen. When
you email the list for a GSOC specific question, just put [GSOC] at the start of the subject
line.  I CC you in this email but will not do it afterwards and just email dev@cloudstack.apache.org

-IRC: For daily conversation and help, we use IRC. Install an IRC client and join the #cloudstack
and #cloudstack-dev on irc.freenode.net [1]. Make yourself none and learn a few IRC tricks.

-JIRA: Our ticketing system is JIRA [2], create an account and browse JIRA, you should already
know where your project is described (which ticket number ?). As you start working you will
create tickets and subtasks that will allow us to track progress. Students having to work
on Mesos, Whirr and Provisionr will be able to use the same account.

-Review Board [3]: This is the web interface to submit patches when you are not an official
Apache committer. Create an account on review board.

-Git: To manage the CloudStack source code we use git [4]. You will need to become familiar
with git. I strongly recommend that you create a personal github [5] account. If you are not
already familiar with git, check my screencast [6].

-Wiki: All our developer content is on our wiki [7]. Browse it, get an account and create
a page about your project in the Student Project page [8].

-Website: I hope you already know our website :) [9]

-CloudStack University: To get your started and get a tour of CloudStack, you can watch CloudStack
University [10]

Expectations for bonding period:
*To get you on-board I would like to ask each of you to send an email introducing yourself
in couple sentences, describe your project (couple sentences plus link to the JIRA entry and
the wiki page you created), confirm that you joined IRC and if you registered a nick tell
us what it is and finally confirm that you created an account on review board and JIRA.

*By the end of the period, I would like to see your first patch submitted. It will be your
GSOC proposal in docbook format contributed to a GSOC guide I will create. There is no code
writing involved, this will just serve as a way to make sure you understand the process of
submitting a patch and will be the start of a great documentation of our GSOC efforts. More
on that later

On behalf of everyone at CloudStack and especially your mentors (Abhi, Kelcey, Hugo and myself)
, welcome and let's have fun coding.

-Sebastien

[0] - http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2013
[1] - http://www.freenode.net